Manuscript Group 264, Newark, New Jersey Census book, 1826
Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 264, Newark, New Jersey Census
Census book, 1826, 0.1 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 264
The first known Newark census, compiled by Isaac Nichols, the town tax assessor. It gives Newark’s population distribution by sex, age, occupation, and free or slave status; Nichols set the population at 8,017.
Gift of Walter S. Nichols family, 1923.
Isaac Nichols (1773-1861) was a carpenter and coffin maker, who was also one of the founders of the Newark Banking Company. He was active in local affairs, not only as an elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Newark and as a member and president of the Newark Common Council, but also as an appointed guardian, assignee, or executor for various local estates. Nichols was also Newark’s first town tax assessor and census taker.
On October 18, 1797, Isaac Nichols married Phebe Davis (1779-1834), with whom he had seven children: Eliza (1798-1799), Edwin (1800-1836), Aaron I. (1802-1861), Whitfield (1804-1805), Whitfield (1807-1851), Alexander McWhorter (1809-1881), and James (b. 1815). Phebe and Isaac Nichols both died in Newark, she on October 24, 1834, and he on January 24, 1861.
Atkinson, Joseph, History of Newark (William B. Guild, Newark N.J., 1878).
This volume was a gift of the family of Walter S. Nichols in 1923.
This volume contains statistics compiled in the first known census of Newark, New Jersey taken in 1826 by Isaac Nichols as town tax assessor. Though names of the town’s residents are not listed, the population is counted by sex, age group, occupation, and free or slave status. The total population of Newark was 8,017, and the most numerous occupations listed were shoemaker (685), carriage builder (210), and carpenter (89). For aggregate figures by occupation based on this census, see Joseph Atkinson, History of Newark (William B. Guild, Newark N.J., 1878), pg. 161 (call number N 974.91 Es7n c.6) in the Library of The New Jersey Historical Society.
Processed by Luis Delfino, June 2001 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records