Position Title Archivist
Reports To Executive Director
DEPARTMENT Library & Museum Collections
The Archivist accessions, organizes, describes, preserves and creates access to manuscript
collections as defined by the policies and procedures of the New Jersey Historical Society. The
Archivist is also generally responsible for supervising all activities pertaining to the library and
museum collections, which includes the supervision of interns and volunteers.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES— Archivist
1. Accessions and processes all library collections.
2. Creates, manages and updates the Society’s finding-aids and online catalogue.
3. Manages the accession and processing of museum collections
4. Manages preservation/conservation duties on all library collections and museum collections.
5. Supervises interns, volunteers, working on library and museum collections.
6. Interacts with collection donors and manages all acquisitions, including paperwork.
7. Suggests acquisitions of manuscripts, books, serials, newspapers, microfilm, photographs,
and ephemera to add to collections.
8. Manages care and access to all collections, including collections storage and cataloging.
9. Performs, short and long range planning including priorities for cataloging, processing.
10. Oversees any special projects including inventory and digitization projects.
11. Implements policies related to access and use of manuscript collections.
12. Coordinates permissions, reproductions and loans.
13. Manages all aspects of the NJ Historical Society’s records management program.
14. Provides library reference desk service as needed
1. Masters in Library Science Degree (M.L.S.) from ALA accredited library school
2. Minimum 4 years professional experience.
3. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
4. Driver’s License
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
6. Ability to bend, stoop, walk and stand for long periods of time: lift and carry 25-50
7. Clearance on background checks
Respond to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please)