The New Jersey Historical Society Library
Polices and Procedures
LIBRARY HOURS: Tuesday – Saturday: 12:00pm – 5:00pm
Make an appointment:
If you would like to schedule an appointment please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information;
- Name, Address, phone number, email
- Subject information including name of manuscript collection, book, map, etc. if available. Additionally, in order to expedite your request it would be helpful to provide call numbers, box numbers and folder numbers (for example MG999, box 5, folder 3)
- The date and time you would like to visit the library (Tuesday – Saturday 12pm – 5pm)
Visiting the Research Library:
Since the NJHS library is a research library, it may not be like the public library down the street to which most patrons may be accustomed. The Historical Society library maintains books, manuscripts and other material as an historical record, so that patrons can find not only the information they need about New Jersey’s history, but how that information can be preserved for their grandchildren and great grandchildren as well. Therefore, the Library contains very little current material, nor books or materials that patrons could check out of the library. All of the library’s material is used on site in our Reading Room and should be handled with care, so that others could use it in the future. Our library staff is happy to aid any researcher with school projects, dissertations, or genealogical research, but those patrons who do not wish to follow our set policies, will be dismissed.
- Upon entering the Library a patron will be asked to register, provide government photo identification, and sign an agreement to abide by the reading room rules. (Registration Form)
- In order to protect the collections and provide researchers with adequate room to work, all personal possessions, including coats, umbrellas, briefcases, knapsacks, bags, and purses, must be left in the first floor coatroom where lockers are provided for storage of such items. Only notebooks and pencils should be brought into the Reading Room.
- Food , drink, & chewing are not allowed in the library.
- Only pencils may be used in the Reading Room (i.e. no pens, markers, highlighters, etc.), but laptop computers also permitted, provided other researchers are not disturbed. Library tables have electrical outlets. Scanners are not permitted.
- Materials must be handled with care. Do not place notepaper or computers on books or manuscripts. Do not bend, press down or otherwise manipulate or rearrange materials. Please keep books flat on the table and not faced down. Do not remove items from their place sleeves.
- Leave items on tables or return them to the reference desk after use. Please do not re-shelve any materials.
- Photocopying is very limited. Therefore, the NJHS encourages the use of digital cameras. Please review our Camera Use Policy for details. No material from the Historical Society’s collection may be reproduced in any form without the Society’s written permission.
- Cell phones must be muted or turned off to provide for a quiet environment for researchers. If you must place or receive a call please do so in the 1st floor lobby.