Become a Member
Membership at The New Jersey Historical Society opens up a whole new world of discovery – exciting interactive exhibitions, an extensive library for scholarly and genealogical research, a world-class archival and museum collection, thought-provoking forums and discussion, and multi-purpose learning facilities for people of all ages.
As the state’s oldest cultural institution founded in 1845, our collections represent one of the most extensive and broadest collections of New Jersey history and culture in the world. In addition to preserving and recording New Jersey history, we are also dedicated to integrating our collections and universal concepts into award-winning exhibitions that demonstrate the significant influence of New Jersey history in our present lives. Our exhibitions and public programming are designed to teach, challenge, and ultimately inspire how you think and learn about New Jersey’s rich history and diverse cultures, past and present.
The New Jersey Historical Society is accessible by mass transportation and within walking distance of many of Newark’s downtown cultural attractions, including The Newark Museum, The New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Aljira Contemporary Arts Center, The Newark Library, Riverfront Stadium and more!
There is no better time than now to become a member of The New Jersey Historical Society, membership levels and benefits are as follows:
Senior, Student, Educator ($25), Individual ($40), Library / Nonprofit ($45)
- Membership Card
- New Jersey History, our semi-annual journal
- Discounts to Newark Downtown eateries
- Program Brochure
- Invitations to exhibition openings
- Reduced Admissions to paid programming
- 10% discount at the History Shop
- Access to internationally-known research library
- Personal genealogical research at the reduced rate of $25.00 per hour.
- Reciprocal benefits at over 120 other history museums across the United States through Time Travelers. For a list of participating museums, visit Time Travelers online or call our membership office at 973 596 8500 ext. 254.
Household ($60) All of the above plus:
- Notification of family events
Sponsor ($100) All of the above plus:
- Validated parking for one visit
- Gift membership at the Individual level for a friend or family member
Friend ($250) All of the above plus:
- Validated parking for two visits (total)
- Exhibition previews, including a behind-the-scenes tour and talk with the curator
Patron ($500) All of the above plus:
- Validated parking for four visits (total)
- Private V.I.P. tour with staff highlighting library and museum collections in closed-stacks and storage areas
Benefactor ($750) All of the above plus:
- Private “White Glove Tour” of library and museum collections
President’s Circle ($1,500) All of the above plus:
- Lunch with the President
- Complimentary one-time use of our auditorium for an approved private function
- Invitations to exclusive events
If you would like to become a member or would like to ask questions about membership, please contact the membership department at (973) 596-8500 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your e-mail, please include your name, address, telephone number, and membership request so we may answer your request as specifically and promptly as possible.