TABLE OF CONTENTS
The New Jersey Historical Society
Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. December 2004. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
The Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church was located at the corner of Fifth and Roseville Avenues in Newark, New Jersey. In 1890 the Board of Trustees were elected and the first pastor, Rev. Hugh B. MacCauley was installed. The dedication of the church took place on December 16, 1900. With each year the congregation grew larger and larger. The church had a flourishing Sunday School and sponsored a variety of events that were held at the church, including lawn parties, lectures, musicals, and it also organized excursions to other cities. There were numerous organizations that were a part of the church, including The Young Peoples League, The Woman’s Missionary Society, Ladies’ Aid Society, and the Christian Endeavor Society.
The scrapbook was made by Charles H. Madison in dedication of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. It was given to the church in 1910. The book is filled with newspaper clippings, invitations, Sunday School Programs, pictures, minutes from the Board of Trustees meetings, tickets to social events, manual books, correspondence, reports on collections, and song sheets.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 1568, Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church Scrapbook, The New Jersey Historical Society.
Gift of Richard Ciello, December 1999.