Guide to the Record Book of Roxbury Academy 1809-1811 MG 887
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2004 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Bob Golon as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle Kovacs. February 2004. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
Roxbury Township, in Morris County, New Jersey, was founded in 1740. The township included Chester, Washington, Mt. Olive, Netcong, Chester, Mt. Arlington, and Stanhope. Its first school was begun prior to 1800 in Succasunna. In February, 1808, a subscription was started, and 125 shares were sold, at $8.00 per share, for the purpose of starting and building an academy. The building was erected on a plot of land donated by Clement Carey, situated on the east side of the main road of Succasunna Plains. The academy, dedicated to the promotion of literature, was opened in 1809. The school building included an iron weather vane in the shape of a fish, with the date 1809 inscribed on it
The school remained in its initial location for forty years. In 1849, the Academy moved to a converted carpenter’s shop in McCainville, which would eventually become the town of Kenvil.
This collection consists of the written articles of agreement between the subscribers for the purpose of building an Academy. The notes contain information regarding per-share price, rights of shareholders, the procedures for the appointment and the duties of trustees and officers. Also included is a detailed listing of the subscriber’s names, how many shares they purchased, and the total cost of their purchase.
Shareholders include Abraham Bay, Elias Briant, Israel Canfield, Clement Carey, Aaron and Joshua Case, Evenezer Coe, Benjamin and Hiram Condit, James Cok, Silas Dalrimple, Abraham Day, Jacob and James Dickerson, Jacob and William Drake, Nathaniel Fornier, Abraham and Cornelius Haght, William Hamilton, William Hart, David Horton, Elias, Jacob, and Samuel Howell, Caleb and Joshua Jennings, Moses Kamp, James and Samuel King, Silas Kipp, Abraham Lee, Philip Morris, Thomas Peterson, James Scott, John Stark, Daniel Wilkerson, Ebeneaer Woodruff, and Gilbert Young.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For materials related to the individuals and topics documented in the collection, see:
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 887, Roxbury Academy (Roxbury, N.J.) Record book, The New Jersey Historical Society.
A History of Morris County New Jersey: Embracing upwards of two centuries 1710-1913. v. 1. New York ; Chicago: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1914.