Manuscript Group 1303, Newark Academy, Newark and Livingston, NJ, Minutes (microfilm), 1792 – 1978
Archives Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 1303, Newark Academy, Newark and Livingston, NJ, Minutes (microfilm), 1792 – 1978, 4 reels
Call Number: MG 1303 (microfilm)
The thirteenth oldest day school in the country, Newark Academy was founded by Alexander Macwhorter in 1774. Closed during the Revolution, the school reopened in newly built quarters in 1792. In 1802, the Academy began a separate division for girls, but the innovative program was a source of controversy and closed in 1859. In 1964, the Academy moved from Newark to Livingston, N.J.; in 1971 it became fully coeducational. Notable
headmasters include: Samuel A. Farrand who governed from 1859-1899; Wilson Farrand, 1901-1935; Clinton F. Zerweck, Robert M. Butler, 1956-1967; E. Standish Bradford, 1967-1979; Allan E. Strand, 1979-present. The trustee minutes reveal aspects of the school’s educational philosophy, town/gown relations, provide information on the personnel and on other educational matters.
Gift of Newark Academy.
Submit a request to copy part of this collection