Manuscript Group 1366, Historical Society Photograph Collections
Archives Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
NEW JERSEY SUBJECT PHOTOGRAPHS,
1880s-present. 5 ln.ft. MG 1366
Organized alphabetically and by size.
This series consists of original photographs
and prints and photocopies of photographs relating to specific
subjects or topics. Photographs were copied from the New Jersey
“Places,” “Newark,” and “People”
photographic series. Photographs documents the activities and
events associated with various professions, people or groups,
types of transportation, political groups, and wars. Subjects
include African-Americans, airplanes, amusement parks, beach
scenes, bicycle clubs (1890s), boats, bridges, cemeteries,
ceremonies, construction sites, Klu Klux Klan in New Jersey,
laborers, organizations, railroads, sports, transportation,
women, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, World War I, U.S.
Marines in Haiti, the Revolutionary War, U.S. Navy, West Point,
fictional characters, World’s Fair (Columbian Exposition), Newark
basketball teams (1905-1911) and many others. Other items include
service record posters of several Civil War veterans, autographs
and photographs of U.S. Presidents, Civil War envelopes, non-New
Jersey stereocards, and many railroad related prints, oversized
photographs and drawings.
Amusement Parks & Areas.
Bicycle Clubs, 1890s.
Construction Sites including WPA.
Declaration of Independence, signers.
Docks/Ferry terminals/Piers/Dry Docks.
Elephant Hotel–Lucy the Elephant of Margate.
Farms & Farming.
Fire Fighting Apparatus/Fire houses.
Box 1A/34 Foundries.
HABS (Historical American Buildings Survey).
Horses/Stables/Pony Rides/Race Tracks.
Industrial Sites (historic & Modern).
Industry: Tool manufacturing (Eastern Tool & Manufacturing Co., ETAMCO)
KKK. Klu Klux Klan.
Life Saving/Coast Guard/Boat Rescues.
NursingIncl. Class of 1951-1953.
Organizations–German-American Bund Andover, 1930’s.
Box 2/19A Phonographs.
Box 2A/27 Rooms (interiors).
Sports & Athletes (swimming/boating/fishing/golf/basketball)
Box 2A/31 State Symbols (including NJ state seal)
Box 3/1A Theaters.
Vehicles (non-electric, i.e. horse-drawn carriages).
Vehicles (electric, i.e. cars, trucks).
Wagon Hoists & Inclined planes–see canals.
Women–eminent Women of 19th century.
4/1 Wars/Military-Civil War–Battle Sites.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Fort Sumter.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Printed Photographs.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Prints of Civil War personalities and
Wars/Military-Civil War–Battle Sites & Memorials.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Soldiers. Carte De Visites.
See more Civil War material in Subject Oversize (below).
Wars/Military-Spanish-American War– Joseph S. Frelinghuysen Sr.
Wars/Military-Spanish-American War– Camp Scenes. See more
Spanish American War in oversized subject photographs.
Wars/Military-U.S. Marines in Haiti, ca. 1915.
Wars/Military-World War I. Photographs of U.S. Marines in France
taken by Leon H. Caverly of New Jersey. Includes narrative of his
Wars/Military-World War I. Photographs of U.S. Marines in France
taken by Leon H. Caverly of New Jersey.
Wars/Military-World War I Glass Plate Negatives of U.S. Marines
in France taken by Leon H. Caverly of New Jersey.
Presidential Autograph Collection. Photographs or engravings of
U.S. Presidents with autographs sometimes on the photo and other
times attached under the image. Includes George Washington, John
Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy
Adams, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison,
John Tyler, James K Polk, Zachary Taylor, Franklin Pierce,
Millard Fillmore, James Buchannan, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew
Johnson, U.S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield,
Chester A. Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William
McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, Woodrow Wilson,
Warren Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D.
Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy,
Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter,
Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton. Also some multiple copies of
some Presidents, a set of engraving of every President from
Washington to Hoover, other group engravings. Most 19th century
and early 20th century Presidents are represented in the main
“People” file with their own file. Norman Rockwell
prints of Nixon and Kennedy. Some oversized items in
Subject OS 9.
Railroads/Transportation: Miscellaneous railroad related
prints, engravings, photographs, clippings, and printed
materials. 8 folders. (See also OS6 & DOS )
Railroads/Transportation: Miscellaneous railroad related;
Folders 1-2 Photographs; Folder 3Jersey Central Lines,
Liberty St. Ferry Schedule Ledger, 1958. (See also OS6
Wars/Military-Revolutionary WarWar scenes and military
Wars/Military-Revolutionary War– prints of war leaders; photos
landmarks; war scenes.
Wars/Military-Revolutionary WarLithographs by Currier
Washingtons reception at Trenton.
Presidential Prints by Currier.
War–“The Soldier in Our Civil War, 1897. Printed
War–H.P. Moore photos.
War–Monuments, Battle Sites, Soldiers, Graves.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Group Photograph of Drum & Fife
James A. Garfield Post #4 GAR, Newark.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Memorials, battle sites.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Fort Sumter, ca. 1865.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Fort Sumter, ca. 1865.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Photos, prints, etc.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Veterans in 1891 on horses in South
Marshall House, Alexandria; Vets, 1899; other photographs.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Chancellorsville battlefield.
Wars/Military-Civil War–U.S. ship J.P. Jackson, 1863.
WarMatthew Bradys Incidents of War
photographs. Several group photographs of soldiers; General
staff; General Morrells Brigade (7 folders).
War Monuments, battle sites.
Wars/Military-Navy–Naval Battle scenes from the Revolution to
1917. In color.
Wars/Military-Navy–Ships: U.S.S. Portmouth, 1905-1907; others.
Wars/Military-Navy–Ships:U.S.S. Von Stueben.
Wars/Military-Navy–Ships: Christening of the battleship New
West Point Collection. 125 photographs of West Point cadets ca.
West Point grounds; facilities, group photographs etc. Unbound
apparently used for 1872 class book. Also Snap shots and glass
negative of Basil Stevens, 1909-1910; matted photograph of Legion
1906; West Point in 1863 (group of cadets with well dressed women
men; USMA 1913 (group photo with names listed on back.
Oversized items from the Presidential Autograph Collection in
Wars/Spanish-American War, 1898–Troops in Texas.
Engravings: Asher B. Durand.
Engravings: Rowland C. Ellis (prints).
Engravings: John M. Foster (prints).
Engravings: Thomas Nast, Francis Kearny, J.A. Adams.
Engravings: Henry E. Winzenried (?).
Fashion: Tearsheets and clippings, mid-nineteenth century.
Railroads/Transportation: miscellaneous prints,
photographs, and printed
materials. 9 folders. (See also Subject
boxes 10 & 11 and DOS Subject.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Service Record of William Astley.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Service Record of John P. Fairchild.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Service Record Alfred Husk, 7th NJ
Wars/Military-Civil WarService Record, Samuel S. Force, 1st
NJ Volunteers Camp 7.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Service Record John Hagen.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Military Register Company K 82nd
Pennsylvania Volunteers—K. Woodward.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Military Register—15th Regiment NJ
Volunteers; 1st Regiment, Company C, N.J.
Wars/Military-Civil War–The Soldiers Record—14th Regiment.
Company C. NJ Volunteer Infantry.
Wars/Military-Civil WarSoldiers Memorial: 9th
Regiment, NJ Volunteers, Company K.
Wars/Military-Civil War– Gettysburg Battlefield. Lithograph of
troop placement and movement.
Wars/Military-Civil War–Photograph of Civil War veterans in
front of a monument at Gettysburg.
World Fair–Columbian Exposition, Chicago World Fair, 1893.
Display and casting of 1893 Liberty Bell (3 folders, 7 items).
World Fair–Columbian Exposition, Chicago Worlds Fair, 1893.
and exterior of New Jersey building at the fair. See photo
albums for 1904
Louisiana Purchase Exposition at the St. Louis Worlds Fair. Also
lithographs of the New Jersey building at the Centential
Exhibition in Philadelphia, 1876. And More .new
Fictional Characters. National themes and some foreign scenes.
Railroad photographs and print. Includes photgraphs of several
19th and 20th century trains including the exterior and interiors
of cars, blueprints, train artwork, engraving from 19th century
magazines such as Harper’s,printed photographs and many
other items. Some New Jersey items. See other railroad files
Sports–Basketball Teams, 1905-1911. Including Lauter team and
Hudson River League team. 5 items.
Railroad/Transportation I: Steam Ferry, Endicott Lithos;
Lackawanna Ferry RR photo; Noon train for NYPaterson
depor, Erie RR, 2/14/1867; RR Photos (2); RR Prints; RR
posters (2); Longwood RR; RR Blueprints (2); Engine
Planet of Camden and Amboy RR.
Railroad/Transportation II: Railroad engines, nn-NJ photos;
railroad workers photos by William M. Rittase; RR engines, photos
(2); Steam ferry boat/RR engines, photos; railroad
photos; RR-Non-NJ, photos and illustrations; RR
photograph by John Manning (?)/ Hoboken train sign; RR
photos and prints (3).
Railroad/Transportation III: RR engines, non-NJ (5); American
Locomotives: The Theory of Steam. Engraving by Emil
Reuter.; RR Aqueducts photos.
DOUBLE OVERSIZED (DOS) IN MIXED MAP DRAWER
Political: Political Cartoons, Non-NJ/United States,
Political: Political Cartoons, Non-NJ/ United States,
Political: Political Cartoons, N.J.Includes William
Civil War: 14th NJ Volunteers18th
Reunion in Jamesburg, NJ 9/10/1896.
Civil War: Various NJ Regiments.
Miscellaneous Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA: Alumni
(laying cornerstone), 1923; Sigma Phi Anniversary,
(From MG 824, P.H.W. Smith Collection.)
Misc. Family scenes.
U.S.A. New Hampshire.
U.S.A. New York
U.S.A. New York–Niagara Falls.
U.S.A. The South.
U.S.A. Washington D.C.
Underwood & Underwood–U.S.A. Scenes.
& OTHER CASED PHOTOGRAPHS
DAGUERREOTYPES, AMBROTYPES & OTHER
1840’s-1860’s & a few later images. 318
items. MG 1365
Includes Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, tintypes and other cased
photographs. About one-half of the images in this series are
identified while the other half are not identified. Subjects
includes many children, Civil War soldiers, women about the time
they were married, elderly women, one funeral image (Hannah
Snedeker), and many of the clothing styles of the 1850s including
parted hair, broaches, lace collars, very large bow ties, hats,
coats, bonnets, and dresses. Also includes Civil War regiment, a
factory and a few other buildings. Photographers represented in
this collection (those noted on the images or cases) include
Judson of Newark; Chase; Brady’s Gallery, New York; Jenks
Brothers; Holmes of New York; Meade Brothers; Bradley’s Gallery
in Philadelphia; Anson of New York; O.C. Benjamin, Newark;
Jeremiah Gurney; Schnoonmaker, Troy, NY; W. & W.E.
Lewis, New York; Quinby, Newark; Rolf & Jenks, Newark;
Knecht; W.A. Wellman, NY; Thompson, NY; Davis & Co.,
Boston; Tyler & Co., Cincinnati; Wymans & Co.,
Boston; Miss M. MacFarlane, Boston; and Lawrence. The
majority of cased photographs are not identified by maker,
although the inventory lists a brief description that identifies
unnamed images by gender, age or clothing. Families represented
by multiple images include: Andreuss, Baldwin, Cairns, Canfield,
Clark, Baker, Coddington, Coe, Comer, Congar, Dickerson, Dodd,
Douglas, Drake, Furman, Halsey, Halsted, Holden, Lee,
Marsh, Mulford, Munn, Landau, Ross, Sayre, Smalley, Symington,
Van Wagenen, and others. Individuals include: Mrs.
Nathaniel Camp, John Willard Coddington, Rev. John Ford, General
N.H. Halsted, Rev Mathew H. Henderson of Trinity Church in
Newark, Jenny Lind (singer), Henry K. McDowell, Dr. S.C. Marsh,
Isaac S. Mulford and his brothers, Gov. William S.
Pennington, General Jose Paez, General Winfield Scott, and many
Only tintypes that have cases or frames are included in this
series. There are many other tintypes elsewhere in the photograph
collection. Many of the daguerreotypes and ambrotypes have
full cases with latches while others have only half a case.
Others consist only of frames and glass. Some images are placed
in small booklet type cases with “Token” or
“Memorial” written on the spine. Also of note is a
miniature album with several small tintype portraits.
1. Caleb Halsted Andruss. C4 UC 1031.
2. Emma H. Andruss with Thomas A. Lathrop.
C4 UC1131. By Judson, Newark.
3. Clarence W. Alling (child in bloomers on
4. Albert Baldwin [Catherine Harrison’s
brother] By Chase. C4 UC1029.
5. Lt. Joseph Condit Baldwin. Died 1864 in
Va. by a shell.
6. Frederick & William Harrison Bayles,
Kingston, NJ. Daguerreotype.
7. Son of Joseph & Abigail Tenley
Burell. By Brady’s Gallery, 205-207 Broadway, NY.
8. Henry G. Byrant. Daguerreotype.
9. Mr & Mrs. Benjamin F. Cairns. Daguerreotype.
10. Oscar D. Cairns (teen) Daguerreotype.
11. Oscar D. Cairns (age 12) Daguerreotype.
12. Oscar D. Cairns (with beard) Nichols
13. Sophronia D. Cairns. Daguerreotype.
14. Duncan Campbell. (John M. Howe papers).
15. Mrs. Nathaniel Camp. Daguerreotype.
16. Augustus C. Canfield. Crystoleum C4 V-C
17. Woman in red hat (found in Augustus D.
Canfield envelope) Crystoleum.
18. Frederic Canfield. Daguerreotype. C4
19. Mahlon D. Canfield. Daguerreotype. C4
20. Silas D. Canfield. Daguerreotype. C4
21. Silas D. Canfield Daguerreotype by Jenks
Brothers. C4 C1375.
316. Rev. Father Carrigan, Hoboken. C4
22. Carter, Pierson & Hale. 1851.
23. Mr. Chetwood from the Halsey Family. C4
24. Anna E. Loree Clark.
25. Elizabeth Clark Baker. Daguerreotype.
26. John Clark.
27. Julia Clark Baker.
28. Julia Clark & E. Baker.
29. Mary Ann Clark Boyd Anderson.
30. Sarah Clark.
31. Mary Holden Clarke.
32. John Willard Coddington.
33. William Coddington. Daguerreotype by
Weston, 192 Broadway, NY.
34. William Coddington. Daguerreotype.
35. Alexander Coe. Half case.
36. C. Amelia Coe. Half case.
37. Moses B. Coe. Half
38. Phoebe E. Coe. Half case.
39. Sarah A. Coe. No
40. Sarah A. Coe
Half case. By Holmes, 288 Broadway, NY.
41. Theodore Coe. Half
42. Aimee Alsop Colt. Blue felt oval
43. John Comer of Manitoba, NJ (boy).
44. Israel Comer of Manitoba, NJ (large hat
with beard) Daguerreotype. 1965.36.
45. Rebecca Comer Tice of Manitoba, NJ.
46. Lavinia Thomas Coleman. Daguerreotype.
Miniature with no case. C1507.
47. Bruen Hayes Congar. Daguerreotype by
Anson, 589 Broadway, NY. C-1990.
48. Mrs. Bruen Hayes Congar. Daguerreotype.
Miniature half case. C-1991.
49. Civl War Company of D. Judson
Cook. 27th NJ Regiment from Drakeville, Morris Co. Men holding
sword and drum. No case.
317. Sarah Voorhees Cornell. Daguerreotype.
318. Hannah Frances Corson, Clayton, NJ.
50. Mahlon Dickerson. Daguerreotype. C4
51. Philemon Dickerson. Daguerreotype C4
52. Dodd siblings. 3 women, one man
(elderly). Julia Dodd Wallace; Lydia Dodd Runyon; Jane Dodd
Cranse; Mathias Dodd. Photo in case.
53. William H. Douglas & Martha H
Johnson. Oval felt case.
54. Martha H. Johnson Douglas. Round
miniture with screw-off top.
55. William H. Douglas. Oval wooden case.
56. Ida E. Drake. Daguerreotype. Half case.
Dec. 1958 gift.
57. Oliver Drake & Elizabeth Alward
Drake. Dec. 1958 gift.
58. John L. Eils. “Taken on my leaving
for the war, August 21, 1861.” C4 C283.
59. Rev. John Ford, Parsippany.
Daguerreotype by Holmes. C2279.
60. Mahala Furman. (Nichols Collection).
61. Polly Furman (Nichols Collection).
62. Emeline Inniss Geiger, wife of Henry
Garthwaite Geiger. Daguerreotype. No Case. C1800.
63. Mary Woodruff Garthwaite. Daguerreotype.
6 1/2 x 6 wooden frame. UC 1594.
64. Emma S. Goble, 1804-1854. Daguerreotype
by Meade Brothers.
65. Eliza Ryerson Halsey, married Horatio
66. Mary Dayton Halsey, 1821-1892 &
Eliza R. Halsey, 1813-1861 (sisters) Daguerreotype.
67. Sarah Cornelia Halsey Dayton.
68. Caleb Stockton Halsted, 1807-1876.
69. Joseph Lyon Halsted, 1783-1807.
Photo of painting by Bradley’s Gallery 341 Market St.
70. General N.H. Halsted. Half case in small
71. General N.H. Halsted. Daguerreotype.
72. Halsted family Naval Captain.
72. Halsted family member (man). C4 UC1764.
73. Halsted family member (woman and child).
C4 UC 1757.
74. Halsted family member (man) C4 UC1762.
75. Halsted family member (man) By Brady’s
Gallery, NY. C4 UC 1759.
76. Halsted family member (man). C4 UC1755.
77. Halsted family member (man). C4 UC1760.
78. Halsted family member (man). Half case.
79. Halsted family member (man).
Daguerreotype. No case. C4 UC1753.
80. Halsted family member (man).
Daguerreotype. C4 UC1761.
81. Rev. Matthew H. Henderson, Rector of
Trinity Church, Newark, 1830-1856.
82. Horatio Holden, 1840-1919. Beard with
large bow tie.
83. Horatio Holden, 1840-1919. Half case.
84. William M. Lee, d. 1910.
85. William M. Lee. Daguerreotype.
86. Adelaide Larwill, wife of William M.
Lee. By Anson, Broadway, NY.
87. Adelaide Larwill, wife of William M.
Lee. Daguerreotype barely visible.
88. Jenny Lind (singer) with husband, Otto
89. Anna Johnes Little, Morristown.
90. Henry Kollack McDowell. Graduating in
pharmacy with diplomas & books. MG 866.
91. Dr. S. C. Marsh of Newark. Father of
Mrs. N.H. Halsted. Daguerreotype.
92. Horace Marsh. Daguerreotype.
93. Horace Marsh’s wife.
94. Horace Marsh’s mother-in-law.
95. Isaac Mathew, 1806-1883 or 84. Daguerreotype.
96. Harry Merrit. No case. By Davis &
Co. Original 25 cent Ambrotypes, Boston.
97. Daniel Mersereau, with wife and child,
98. Linus W. Mooney. Oval miniature.
99. Mulford Brothers. Henry, Charles, Isaac
S. & John. From Salem & Bridgeton.
100. Charles Mulford, 1790-1867. Salem.
101. Calvin Munn.
102. Mary Squire Munn.
103. John Munn, died at Chancellorsville.
Big bow tie.
104. John Munn.
105. Capt. Joseph Munn, Montclair.
106. Joseph Munn, William Leach & Wilbur
Sanford. (3 men). By O.C. Benjamin, Artist, Broad St., Newark.
107. Joseph Munn.
108. Louise Munn.
109. Frank L. Price (child in dress).
110. James Price. Daguerreotype.
111. Gov. William Sanford Pennington.
112. William O’Blenis, married Margaret
113. Carolyn Landau. Daguerreotype cased in
small booklet (Nichols Collection).
114. William C. Landau in tall hat (Nichols
115. William C. Landau in large bow tie.
Oval case. (Nichols Collection).
116. Henrietta Ross. Daguerreotype.
117. Lora Ellen Ross. 1959.39B.
118. Lora Ellen Ross. 1959.39G.
119. Lewis S. Ross & Friend in Civil War
uniforms. No case. C4 C1648.
120. Elizabeth Jane Ross. 1952.39A.
121. Ira Wesley Ross and Lora Ellen Ross (2
122. Ann Eliza Kent (related to Ross family)
123. Eliza Terry Waters (related to Ross
124. Catherine Romaine, b. 1826.
125. Roth woman from Kearny. No case or
126. Elizabeth Stone Sayre & Marcus
Sayre, married 1857. Two Daguerreotypes in double case by
Powellson, Newark. 1963.121.
127. Elizabeth Stone Sayre & her infant
son, Henry Niven Sayre, ca. 1858. By Judson & Co., Newark.
128. Amanda Sherpard.
129. Theodore Frelinghuysen Smalley,
1846-1913 & Almira Dunham Smalley, 1846-1913. Two images in
oval case. 1953.53 & 1953.54.
130. Almira Dunham Smalley, 1846-1913. 1953.
131. Mr & Mrs. Joseph Senior, Millburn.
132. Elizabeth Springer Summerman.
133. Robert Brown Symington, b. 1852. Oval
painting in case. 1964.99.
134. W. Clark Symington of 2 Park Place,
Newark. Ornate metal frame with broach of man playing violin and
135. Scherholz-Taylor. Two unidentified
children. Half case. Daguerreotype.
136. Hannah Snedeker. Apparently dead.
Daguerreotype. U4 UC1223.
137. General Jose Paez. 8 x 10 Daguerreotype
from A.B. Canfield. C4 UC1793.
138. Lord Stirling. Daguerreotype. barely
visible from miniature painting?
139. Edward E. Silt, ca. 1850 (young boy).
140. Rosina Smith, 14 years old. Half case.
141. General Winfield Scott. Daguerreotype,
4 1/2 x 6 1/2.
142. Calvin Webster. Daguerreotype (bound in
“Token” case. Nichols Collection.
143. Mary Romaine Watson’s Newfoundland dog.
144. Ann Doremus Van Wagenen. Daguerreotype.
145. Christina Van Wagenen. Daguerreotype.
146. Van Wangenen family member (man).
Daguerreotype. Half case. C2369.
147. Stansbury Taylor. Daguerreotype.
148. Nichols collection. No identification.
149. Nichols collection. Man in hat.
150. Woman with curl “O” in hair.
Half case. C$ UC1763.
151. Girl with bangs in dress. 1986.20.18.
152. Boy in chair. No case. Metal frame.
153. Two boys in a chair holding hands.
154. Mother & child. 2476.
155. Small girl in chair. Daguerreotype by
156. Girl in chair. Daguerreotype by J.
157. Image of painting. 18th century man. C4
158. Man in beard with top hat. C4 UC1032.
159. Small girl in long black dress. By
Schoonmaker, Troy, NY.
160. Mother holding hand with daughter.
161. Man with beard. Daguerreotype. 2477.
162. Young man with large bow tie.
163. Young man with hat & large bow tie,
1854. By Holmes, 289 Broadway, NY.
164. Elderly woman. Daguerreotype. From
Congar estate. C1994.
165. Elderly woman. Daguerreotype. From
Congrar estate. C1993.
166. Young man. Daguerreotype. 2475.
167. Mother and child.
168. Young girl with curls, 1855 or 1858. C4
169. Old man with white hair and beard.
170. Tintype, portrait in frame made
of bone (Lincoln relics) C4 UC1862.
171. Boy with scarf & a hat.
172. Child with belt leaning on a covered
173. Young man with lots of hair and a large
bow tie, 1856. By Holmes, Broadway, NY.
174. Child in chair wearing bloomers, 1851.
By W. & W.E. Lewis?142 Chatham, NY.
175. Painting of woman by Michkin?, NY.
Mid 20th century.
176. Woman. Blue background. Hand painted
eyes & dress. Daguerreotype.
177. Woman with parted hair and lace collar.
178. Man? March 1858. By Quinby, Broad St.
179. Man in ornate case.
“Memorial” on spine of case. Easily falls out.
181. Five men (brothers).
182. Elderly woman. Daguerreotype.
183. Older man in hat.. Daguerreotype.
185. Woman with broach & child with bare
shoulders wearing a polka dot dress. No case.
186. Young man in plaid pants. C4 C1679.
187. Man with small son.
Daguerreotype. No frame.
188. Balding man with sideburns in profile
(large bow tie).
189. Two men (something between them either
a piece of furniture or a dog).
190. Woman in black with broach. Frame
states: “The Union Now and Forever..”
191. Woman with hair parted down middle and
yellow broach. Daguerreotype. Oval miniature.
192. Half case. Image barely noticeable.
193. Man with sideburns and book in hands.
194. Man in suit. Daguerreotype. Cased in
purple felt with “The Token” on spine.
195. Man with sideburns in suit.
196. Woman with lace collar.
197. Image, 1857 by Quinby 385 Broad,
198. Girl with shawl. By Schoonmakers, Troy,
199. Young woman in short sleeves.
200. Girl in dress. By Rolf & Jenks,
Broad St., Newark.
201. Girl in shoulder length hair in chair.
By O.C. Benjamin, Newark.
202. Two sided man. Ambrotype by Knecht.
Patented July 4 & 11, 1854.
203. Mother and child Daguerreotype by
Anson, 589 Broadway, NY.
204. Man with beard no mustache and Woman
with large bow on collar. Double case.
205. Woman with hair parted down the middle.
206. Man with big crop of hair brushed back.
207. Woman with bonnet (white lace).
208. Young man Very miniature with
brass frame-no case.
209. Woman with white sleeves. No case.
Frame falling apart.
210. Woman holding book. Half case.
211. Mary. Spine read “Token.” No
212. Woman with long braids and a flowery
213. Two men (perhaps brothers) with
prominent noses and pushed back hair.
214. Two men and two women. One woman has
215. Elderly man holding book. Half
216. Civil War soldier with goatee holding
217. Image washed out. Harp on design on
218. Woman with bow on stripped dress.
219. Frizzy haired man. Perhaps a preacher?
220. Man, perhaps in a cape, leaning against
221. Boy with sleeping pooch.
222. Man and woman with hands on each others
shoulders. Man has beard. Daguerreotype.
223. Woman with lace collar and hands folded
on lap. Daguerreotype.
224. Two women with lace collars &
broach. Hands on lap.
225. Woman with lace collar, broach,
226. Woman. Curls in hair. Miniature case.
227. Woman with with bonnet and white
228. Woman with black felt strip around neck
and broach at bosom.
229. Man with large bow tie with diamond
print. No case.
230. Five young women. Daguerreotype by
Benjamin, Newark. From Congar estate. D1992.
231. Child wearing scarf standing. Half
232. Balding man with beard holding paper.
233. 2 people, one a woman.
Daguerreotypeimage mostly gone. Pink fabric. Case has flowers in
234. Mother with child (dress painted pink).
235. Boy with ribbon on chest, hat in one
hand. Ornate case. Daguerreotype.
236. Man–thin hair sticking out over ears.
237. Young boy in military uniform holding
sword. Frame has two cherubs shooting bow and arrows.
238. Woman with lacy collar. Daguerreotype
from Brady’s Gallery, Broadway, NY.
239. Woman with lacy collar. Meduim sized
240. Woman with ribbon hanging from hair.
241. Man and woman. Man’s hand on woman’s
shoulder. Womans arms folded. Daguerreotype.
242. Woman in black dress. Arm on back of
243. Young man in button down (soldiers
244. Woman in black felt dress, ribbon in
her hari. Sits in chair. Curtain in background. 245. Man with
beard, coat and vest.
246. Woman in black dress, braided hair to
shoulders. Earrings painted in.
247. Boy (sitting) and girl (standing). No
248. Woman with fingers on cheeks, lace
bracelet. Medium sized case.
249. Young man. Half case. Medium size.
250. Woman with hands on book.
251. Young man in bow tie. Trees and church
252. Woman with white bonnet. Cracked in
253. Elderly woman in white bonnet?
254. Man in bow tie. Daguerreotype.
255. Man with bow tie, high white collar,
coat over suit jacket.
256. Elderly woman with white bonnet. Half
257. Woman with bow at neck. Curls. Arm
leaning on table. Half case.
258. Woman–arm of dress laced. Case spine
has “The Token.”
259. Woman. Porch in background.
260. Boy with white collar. Daguerreotype.
261. Woman in chair. Hands half covered in
262. Woman in white dress, black stipped
vest. Lacy gloves.
263. Balding man with beard. No mustashe.
264. 18th century man, perhaps. Image of
painting. Violet fabic in case.
265. Large dog. Yellow fabric in case.
266. Man with beard. Daguerreotype.
267. Man and child (large bow tie)
268. Woman. Oval painting.
269. Pre-teen boy in chair with hand on
270. Young man in bow tie. No case.
Daguerreotype by W.A. Wellman, 546 Broadway, NY.
271. Woman with hand on cheek, elbow on
table. Half case.
272. Woman-curls on lace collar.
Cracked glass. Half case.
273. Two girls. Half case. Daguerreotype.
274. Man with big chin & bow tie. Half
275. Child standing in long pants leaning on
chair with hat. No case.
276. Man. Miniature Daguerreotype in case
277. Woman. Miniature Daguerreotype. Half
278. Image washed out. Half case.
279. Man with goatee in minitiure oval
280. Woman-curly hair in miniature oval
281. Woman. Dress has bow-tie buttons.
Daguerreotype. Just frame.
282. Woman. Cracks on dress. No case.
283. Woman with folded arms. No case.
Daguerreotype by Thompson, 515 Broadway, NY.
284. Woman in dress with clover
design. April 1862. Only frame.
285. Woman. Ambrotype by Davis & Co.,
286. Woman with hands in lap. Broach. Half
287. Girl in chair. Half case.
288. Man with rosy cheeks. Half case.
289. Woman. Lace in hair. Frame only.
290. Man in top hat. Daguerreotype by Tyler
& Co’s. Daguerreotypeuerreotype Depot, Cincinnati, Ohio.
291. Man in oval frame. Daguerreotype.
292. Young woman. Frame only. Daguerreotype.
293. Man. Oval in velvet frame.
294. Man with beard leaning against woman
with hair down. Two copiesC4 UC1030.
295. Young woman. Wooden frame.
296. Soldier. Navy? Daguerreotype. Half
297. Two women with hands on laps. Half
298. Woman with bonnet over both ears. Half
299. Woman. Broach.Frame.
300. Man in white apron? By Wymans & Co.
301. Young girl in white furry? collar.
Framed. Miss M. MacFarlane Ambrotypes, Boston.
302. Woman. 1863 or 1868 etched on back.
303. Man in beard (hand in pocket) Frame
304. Young woman in hat. Small frame.
305. Aunt Mattie. Green felt case.
306. “Fairy Album.” Miniature
photo album with several small tintype portraits.
307. Woman with cross on necklace. Frame.
308. Woman in chair in hoop dress and large
hat. Half case.
309. Ambrotype of church. No. case.
310. Two women with broaches. No case.
311. Woman in bonnet. Daguerreotype by
312. Woman large black dress. F4 U1225.
313. Woman in bonnet wearing glasses.
314. Boy in plaid pants. Daguerreotype.
315. Dwelling or Business. Two men leaning.
316-318. See alphabetical listing.
319. 18 separate framed tintypes enclosed in
large wooden frame. All images are of young women. From (MG
1348) Dr. Felix Vann Papers.
320. Unidentified Halsted family
member. (placed in alphabetical order)
Man with sideburns. Daguerreotype.
321b. Man with bow tie in oval case.
1953.19. Uncle Douglas/William H. of Newark.
Man with beard. Oval with stand. Sebastian Duncan, Jr?
Blood hound print in frame. OS.
Martha Washington print in frame. OS.
Man in oval. Preacher? 1968.80. OS.
Jonathan Dickenson in wood frame. OS.
Lt. Peter M. Ryerson, Jr. on purple velvet. 1961.86. OS.
Carrington family. Man in bow tie with sideburns. ½ case.
Carrington family. Man in bow tie. Faded image. ½ case.
Carrington family. Woman with earrings and necklace. Striped
Carrington family. Woman seated with (velvet)? Coat. Blushed
Carrington family. Older man with white hair.
Carrington family. Faded image. Hair in case?
Nichols/Coriell family. Aaron Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Amanda B. Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Amanda Backalow Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Eliza D. Coriell Nichols and Sayres O.
Nichols/Coriell family. Eliza Dunn Coriell Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Elizabeth Ogden Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Elizabeth Ogden Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Franklin Coriell Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Franklin C. Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Joseph D. and Edward P. Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Julia A. Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Phineas Coriell.
Nichols/Coriell family.Sarah L. Cairnes (young woman).
Nichols/Coriell family. Sayers Ogden Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Sayers O. and Amanda B. Nichols.
Nichols/Coriell family. Anna S. Cairns. 1876. Aged 20.
Sophronisba. Oval case.
Nichols/Coriell family. Asa Dunn. Faded image in frame.
Nichols/Coriell family. Sarah L. Cairns (widow). In case.
Nichols/Coriell family. Judson Carey Nichols. Small boy in
pantalelles. In frame.
Nichols/Coriell family. Harris Baldwin Nichols. Age about 2 yrs.
Nichols/Coriell family. Joseph Ogden Nichols. In frame.
Nichols/Coriell family. Sarah Providence Dunn Coriell. In frame.
Nichols/Coriell family. Eliza C. Nichols and Julia Adelaide
Nichols. In frame.
Nichols/Coriell family. David Cairns. Faded image in case.
Nichols/Coriell family. Sarah L. Cairns. In late girlhood? In
Nichols/Coriell family. Man with beard in oval case. 1976.4.
Nichols/Coriell family. Sarah Laudau Cairns and infant daughter
Annie, c. 1857.
Nichols/Coriell family. Miss Sarah Laudau, c. 1854. In case.
Nichols/Coriell family. Joseph O. Nichols. In case.
Nichols/Coriell family. Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Laudau. In case.
Two photos of woman. In case. OS.
Girl in dark dress, with white collar. In case with red velvet.
Woman in striped dress. In case with red velvet.
Baby. Faded image in frame.
Young boy in plaid coat. ½ case.
Album containing 16 images.
Two men with bow ties. In case.
Man in bow tie. In case.
Young man in vest. In case.
Man in tall hat. In case.
Woman with short hair. ½ case.
Young man. Faded image in ½ case.
Woman with blushed cheeks. In red velvet case.
Man in f ront of within this enclosure rest the remains of
Gen. George Washington. In case.
Unidentified man from Pitney Family papers (Mg 1128). ½ case.
Young man in bow tie and jacket. In case with red velvet. By
John M. Van Winkill with beard. In case.
John M. Van Winkill with beard and blushed cheeks. In case.
John M. Van Winkill. In large case.
Emmeline H. Davey with long hair. In case.
Young man. Unknown. ½ case.
Two men. Brothers? In case.
Young woman with short hair. In case.