Manuscript Group 148, North River Meadow Company, Shrewsbury Township, NJ



Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs

Manuscript Group 148,
North River Meadow Company, Shrewsbury Township, NJ


Record book, 1820-1832, 0.1
linear feet / 1 volume


Call Number: MG 148 (os)









Minutes and financial accounts of a
company founded in Shrewsbury Township, Monmouth County in order to protect its
membership’s meadow, marsh, and swampland from North Shrewsbury River flooding.



The North River Meadow Company was founded
in Shrewsbury Township (Monmouth County), New Jersey in 1820.  The task of
the company was to protect its membership’s meadows, marshes and swampland
from the North Shrewsbury tidal flooding by constructing a dam and floodgate
system on the North Shrewsbury River.


The company membership annually elected
officers that included the positions of president, secretary, three construction
and maintenance managers, and a three-person committee charged with financial
management.  Among the office holders listed in this volume are: Ruben
Shreve, Gabriel West, Edmund West, John A. Taylor, Joseph A. Taylor, Thomas
Morford, Thomas Morford Jr., George Morford, John Curtis, Isaac Morris, John
Truax (Truas, Trueax), Joseph Truax, Asher L. McQueen, John Cook, and Aron (sic)
R. Jones.



The source of this collection is unknown.

and Content Note:


This volume contains both the financial
accounts and minutes of the annual meetings of the North River Meadow Company
from 1820-1832.  The financial accounts include a list of property owners
who would benefit from the tidal regulation of the North Shrewsbury River, the
amount of affected acreage for each owner, and the value of their
property.  The volume then contains an account tracking each property owner’s
payments to the company.  The accounts are indexed.


The minutes of the annual meetings of the
company consist of progress reports and election notices of officers.

Container List:










Record book





Processed by Luis Delfino, October 2000 as part of the “Farm to
City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications
and Records Commission.


Submit a request to copy part of this collection




Print Friendly, PDF & Email