Manuscript Group 166, Saddle River Township, NJ Record book, 1787-1838
Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 166, Saddle River Township, NJ
Record book, 1787-1838, 0.3 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 166
Contains minutes of town and township committee meetings, financial accounts, and registered oaths. Saddle River Township is located in Bern County
Purchased by the Women’s Branch at the William Nelson sale, 1915.
Saddle River Township (Bergen County), New Jersey is now known as Saddle Brook Township. The name was changed by referendum in 1955 to avoid confusion with the towns of Saddle River and Upper Saddle River that lie in northern Bergen County. Saddle Brook Township is bounded on the north by Ridgewood Township, on the south by Lodi Borough, on the east by the Saddle River, and on the west by the Passaic River. Although originally much larger, Saddle Brook Township is now approximately 2.69 square miles in area. Among the founders of the township were members of the Doremus, Hopper, Demarest, Berdan, and Cadmus families.
Westervelt, Francis A., editor, History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1630-1923, (Lewis Historical Publishing, New York, 1923).
Ryerson, Albert Winslow, The Ryerson Genealogy, (Privately printed, Chicago, 1916).
Saddle Brook Vertical File, The New Jersey Historical Society.
This volume was purchased by The Women’s Branch of The New Jersey Historical Society at the William Nelson sale in 1915.
This volume dates from 1787-1838 and contains the minutes of town and township committee meetings, financial accounts, and registered oaths of office in Saddle River Township. Committee offices were held by George Doremus (d. 1830), Abraham Ryerson (d.1810), James Van Houten (d. 1824), as well as members of the Hopper, Westervelt, Ackerman, and Demarest families.
Processed by Luis Delfino, March 2001 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.