Manuscript Group 216, Captain Thomas Patterson’s Second Company, Third New Jersey Continental Regiment Account Book, 1776-1778
Archive Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 216, Captain Thomas Patterson’s Second Company, Third New Jersey Continental
Account Book, 1776-1778, 0.3 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 216
Kept from February 11, 1776 to May 14, 1778 for Captain Thomas Patterson’s company – 2nd Company, 3rd New Jersey Battalion of Colonel Elias Dayton – while stationed at Fort Stanwix in Schuyler, New York and New Brunswick, New Jersey. Includes an account of clothing and cash to an African American named Cuff.
The Third New Jersey Continental Regiment was authorized on January 10, 1776 and assigned to the New York (later the Middle) Department. The regiment was organized from February 7 until May 18, 1776 at Elizabethtown, New Jersey, and consisted of eight companies, including Thomas Pattersons Second Company, under the command of Colonel Elias Dayton (1737-1807). The regiment fought in the following campaigns: Lake Champlain, Northern New Jersey, New York (1777), Defense of Philadelphia, Philadelphia-Monmouth, Iroquois (1779), and New Jersey (1780). On February 9, 1779, the regiment was reorganized to consist of nine companies. The Third New Jersey Continental Regiment was disbanded on January 1, 1781 at Pompton, New Jersey.
This collection was purchased in 1910.
This account book was kept by Captain Thomas Patterson’s Second Company, Third New Jersey Continental Regiment from February 11, 1776 to May 14, 1778. The account book contains soldiers’ accounts consisting of entries for the date, type of transaction, and cost. The soldiers received cash with which they bought shirts, shoes, liquor, and stockings. There is also an account entitled “Negro (Cuff)” who bought stockings, shoes, a coat, a jacket, breeches and sundries.
For more information on the Third New Jersey Continental Regiment see:
Processed by James Lewis, May 2001 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.