Manuscript Group 357, Female Union School Association, Newark, NJ, Record Book, 1822-1850
Female Union School Association, Newark, NJ
Record Book, 1822-1850. 1 vol.
The record book, 1822-1850, of the Female Union School
Association in Newark includes the Constitution, bylaws,
subscription list, and minutes of this charitable institution
founded in 1822 to establish a free school for the
promotion of learning, industry, morality and piety among the
indigent female children of Newark. Known as the Union
School House, it cooperated with the Priscilla Society, an
organization devoted to the institution of indigent female
children in the useful branches of knitting and sewing. In
1850, due to the establishment of numerous public free
schools, the Female Union School disbanded and its stock
was transferred to the Protestant Foster Home Society of the City
The majority of subscribers were women. The Board of Trustees
included many women from prominent Newark families, such as: Mrs.
Smith Burnet, Mrs. Joseph Congar, Mrs. Frelinghuysen, Mrs.
William Rogers, Mrs. Vanderpool, and Miss Jane Ward. Other names
include: Campbell, Doremus, Meeker, Tuttle, Dr. Ward, and Moses
Woodruff (President of the Board, 1832).