Manuscript Group 358, Newark Turnpike Company, Newark, New Jersey Records, 1805-1809
Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 358, Newark Turnpike Company, Newark, New Jersey
Records, 1805-1809, 0.2 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 358 (os)
The Newark Turnpike Company maintained a local toll road between Newark and what is now Jersey City, New Jersey. Accounts were kept with the Newark Bank by Archibald Mercer (1747-1814), Treasurer of the Newark Turnpike Company. The ledger is indexed.
The Newark Turnpike Company laid out and maintained a local toll road that covered the distance between what is now Exchange Place and Journal Square in Jersey City, and the city of Newark in New Jersey. The company was granted franchise for the toll road by the State Legislature on December 11, 1804, and was incorporated by General John Noble Cumming (1751-1821), General John Dodd (1766-1828), Alexander C. McWhorter, Esq. (1771-1808), and Silas Condit (1778-1861). Archibald Mercer, Esq. (1747-1814) kept the company accounts. In 1832, the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company acquired the Turnpike Company’s franchise and leases.
The source of this collection is unknown.
The account book details the financial activity of the Newark Turnpike Company from the year 1805 to 1809, and includes construction costs for materials and labor, as well as investment, dividend, and toll revenue information. The volume is indexed.
Manuscript Group 43, William Nelson (1847-1914) Papers: Contains the bankbook of Alexander C. McWhorter
Processed by Luis Delfino, October 2000 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.