Manuscript Group 470, John R. Pearson (1766-1848), Grocer Receipt book, 1822-1851
Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 470, John R. Pearson (1766-1848), Grocer
Receipt book, 1822-1851, 0.1 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 470
Personal, business, and tax receipts of a Trenton, New Jersey resident and grocer.
Gift of Connecticut State Library.
John R. Pearson (1766-1848) and his wife Catharine (1799-1832) lived in Trenton, New Jersey and had at least five children: Cornelius (1823-1832), Louisa, Catharine, Joseph C., and Sarah. From the receipts in this volume it appears that Pearson owned a grocery, and in 1822, the family rented a house in “Cox’s Alley.” After Catharine’s death, John married Louisa W. Kiernan (1769-1838). The family built a house in 1842, probably located on Quarry Street, and a second home was built in 1847. John R. died in 1848, and Louisa was made executor of the Pearson estate, however she died a month after her husband and the court appointed Israel Howell, a merchant, Justice of the Peace, and tax collector for the east ward of Trenton, as agent for the estates.
This volume was a gift of the Connecticut State Library, date unknown.
This volume is a receipt book used by John R. Pearson of Trenton, New Jersey from 1822-1851, to document both business and personal transactions. Typical receipts include those for rent, taxes, shoes, flour, pork, butter, pew rent, and construction costs.
Processed by Luis Delfino, December 2000 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.