Manuscript Group 772, Second Avenue Congregational Church, Newark, NJ Records, 1868 – 1938
Archives Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 772, Second Avenue Congregational Church, Newark, NJ
Records, 1868 – 1938, 8 volumes
Call Number: MG 772
Constitution, registers, minutes, and committee reports of a church founded on March 8, 1868 and disbanded June 1, 1938. Originally known as the Belleville Avenue Congregational Church, this congregation in 1928 moved to Second Avenue and Garside Street and changed its name to Second Avenue Congregational Church. Among those instrumental in setting up the original church were Lyman Abbott and Michael E. Strieby, a prominent official of the American Missionary Association. Between 1881 and 1885 George H. Hepworth was associate pastor. Well known as a clergyman, editor, and author, Hepworth had served as lieutenant of a black regiment during the Civil War and as a supervisor of Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks’ Negro labor system in the Department of the Gulf. Ray Palmer, the noted religious author and hymn-writer, also served as associate pastor during these years.
Gift of R. A. Melaugh, 1970, and of the Middle Atlantic Conference of Congregational and Christian Churches, 1974.