Manuscript Group 833, First New Jersey Continental Regiment Account book, 1779 – 1782
Archive Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 833, First New Jersey Continental Regiment
Account book, 1779-1782, 0.1 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 833
- Historical Note
- Provenance Note
- Scope and Content Note
- Related Collections
Accounts, size roll, and registers of the 1st Infantry Company, commanded by Captain Jonathan Forman (1755-1809).
The First New Jersey Continental Regiment was organized from October 26 to December 15, 1775 in Elizabethtown and Perth Amboy, New Jersey. The regiment initially consisted of eight companies and was commanded by Colonel Matthias Ogden (1754-1791), but was reorganized to consist of an additional company in February of 1779. The First New Jersey Continental Regiment participated in a number of campaigns during the Revolutionary War. They fought in the Defense of Canada, Lake Champlain, Northern New Jersey, New York (1777), Defense of Philadelphia, Philadelphia-Monmouth, Iroquois (1779), New Jersey (1780) and Yorktown (1781) campaigns. The First New Jersey Continental Regiment was reorganized again in March of 1783 and given a new name, the New Jersey Regiment. The regiment was disbanded on November 15, 1783.
The account book was purchased in 1974.
The account book was kept by the First Infantry Company, commanded by Captain Jonathan Forman (1755-1809), of the First New Jersey Continental Regiment from 1779-1782. It contains accounts, a size roll, and registers of the First Infantry Company.
The accounts detail the possessions of each soldier in the company, while the size roll indicates the birthplace and residency as well as height and complexion of each soldier. There are three registers: one indicates when and where soldiers took their leave, another lists the dead and discharged non-commissioned officers, and another lists non-commissioned officers that deserted and those captured.
For more information on the First New Jersey Continental Regiment see:
Processed by James Lewis, June 2001 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.