Guide to the Records of the Orange First Presbyterian Church 1830-1831 MG 1015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2004 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Stephen Yautz as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle Kovacs. March 2004. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
The Orange First Presbyterian Church was formed in 1719 under the name, The Church at Newark Mountains, since Orange was a part of Newark at the time. As residents who belonged to the First Presbyterian Church in Newark moved to the mountains west of the city, it became apparent that another Presbyterian church would need to be built. In 1748, the Church at Newark Mountains became a Presbyterian congregation, and adopted a new name, The Second Presbyterian Church of Newark. Eventually, this settlement separated from the town of Newark; the new municipality was given the name of Orange. Consequently, the church changed its name in 1811 to the Orange First Presbyterian Church. In 1832, since most members of the First Presbyterian Church had relocated to more distant parts of Orange, it again became necessary to form a new Presbyterian congregation. As a result, the Second Presbyterian Church of Orange was formed in 1832. The First Presbyterian Church remains an active congregation to this day, and is located at Main Street in Orange, New Jersey.
This collection contains the records of the Orange First Presbyterian Church for the years 1830-1831, including petitions, subscriptions and minutes relating to the establishment of the church.
The church records from this period reflect the standoff between the two congregations over church finances, mainly because the Second Presbyterian Church was formed from a portion of the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church; therefore the former felt entitled to a portion of the latter’s financial holdings. After failing to come to an agreement to the reapportionment of the church funds that satisfied both congregations, the Second Presbyterian Church petitioned the Newark Presbytery to intervene on its behalf, accusing those in the First Presbyterian Church of deliberately withholding funds. By early 1813, the records indicate that both congregations resolved to have the Second Presbyterian Church receive two-sevenths of the funds held by the First Presbyterian Church.
This collection is arranged chronologically.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For secondary material in print on the Orange First Presbyterian Church, see:
First Presbyterian Church in Orange. 250th Anniversary: 1719-1969. Orange, New Jersey: First Presbyterian Church in Orange, 1969.
Hoyt, James. The Mountain Society: A History of the First Presbyterian Church, Orange, N.J. New York: C.M. Saxton, Barker and Company, 1860.
For related collections pertaining to Presbyterian churches and organizations in the vicinity of Orange, New Jersey:
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 1015, Orange First Presbyterian Church Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.