Guide to the City of Newark Records, 1714 / John Ogden, Jr. (1743-1815) Journal, 1787-1791 / Stone Carting Records, 1804-1813 1714-1813 MG 219
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2006 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Kim Charlton, October 1999, as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. February 2006. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
There were numerous Johns and Jonathons in the Ogden family. The J. Ogden, Jr. in this collection is possibly Captain John Ogden, Jr. (1743-1815). Captain Ogden was a great-great grandson of John and Jane Ogden, immigrants who came to America from England in 1640. His parents were Judge John Ogden of Newark (1709-1795) and Hannah Sayre.
John Ogden, Jr. married Rhoda Pierson and they had ten children together. He fought in the Revolutionary War on the patriots’ side.
In 1666, a group of Puritans from Connecticut founded the town of Newark on land they had purchased from Indians. Throughout its early history, the town of Newark expanded in population and size as settlers continued to buy land both from Indians and other settlers. In 1673, Newark came under Dutch control and in 1679, it recognized the jurisdiction of Governor Sir Edmund Andros of New York. It is not until 1713, however, that Queen Anne granted a charter for the town and the boundaries of Newark were established.
Newark contained many patriots and the town was hit hard during the Revolutionary War. Both of its churches, the First Presbyterian Church and the Trinity Church, were burned, along with its school, Newark Academy. The town rebuilt and continued to flourish.
Newark was founded at a key location for travelers going to or coming from New York. The stagecoach, and later the steamboat, would bring much business. Other early businesses included leather making, shoemaking, jewelry, quarry stone, saw and flour mills, iron, tool making, and apple cider.
Eventually, the town of Newark was divided and smaller towns, such as the Oranges and Bloomfield, were created. The town of Newark was incorporated as a city in 1836.
The volume seems to have been used at a number of different times for a number of different reasons. There is an inscription on each inside cover of the book. One reads, “A Book for y Town of Newark Bought May the 12th anno domini 1714, precium 16:6.” The other reads, “Ogden, J.: Journal, 1787-92.”
There are four discrete sections of records in the volume. Reading from the side inscribed by J. Ogden there are: a) a copy of an Indian deed, and b) J. Ogden’s journal. Reading from the other side there are: c) Newark town records and minutes, and d) account records for a stone carting business.
Section 1: The volume contains a true copy of a deed that confirmed an old purchase of Newark land from the Indians. The original deed seems to have been dated March 6, 1703 but was lost in a fire. The confirmation was signed in 1745 and was attested to by Joseph Bonnell, Judge of the Supreme Court of the Province of New Jersey, on November 8, 1745, and by Eli( ) Johnson on August 4, 1749. The copy was made by Elijah Crane Clark. The date of the copy is unknown.
Section 2: J. Ogden’s journal starts with the heading, “A Journal of the Weather & Other Remarkable Events Began Jan 1 1787 by Jno. Ogden Jun.” The journal runs from January 1, 1787 to September 8,1792. It records on a daily basis jobs or chores that Ogden performed, such as planting potatoes or mending the fence, in addition to the weather. The later entries seem to include a little more information. Ogden may refer to family members or to events, such as the laying of the foundation for the new Newark Academy on June 25, 1792. Unfortunately, pages have been cut out and the end of the journal is missing.
Section 3: Starting from the other end of the volume, the book contains Newark town records and minutes from 1714. The entries start with a copy of the grant of township to the freeholders of Newark by Queen Anne. It is followed with a copy of the warrant to survey and set the boundaries of Newark. These copies are followed with the minutes of town meetings beginning April 12, 1714. Entries stop where pages have been cut from the volume. The Newark town records are in the hand of the Clerk of Newark, John Cooper.
Section 4: The middle section contains the accounts of an unknown company that carts stone from a local quarry. Entries run from 1804-1813 and are divided by account (or person). Generally, earlier entries are in the front of the account book, while later ones are in the back. The earliest and latest entries have been cut out of the volume.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For more information on the Mansfield Township see:
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 219, City of Newark Records / John Ogden, Jr. Journal / Stone Carting Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.
This volume was a gift of Henry Congar, 1902.