Guide to the David Ross (1720-1795), Cooper and Bell maker Records 1756-1794 MG 155
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2006 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Luis Delfino as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. January 2006. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
David Ross (1720-1795) was a barrel and bell maker who lived in Elizabeth, New Jersey. He married Hannah Ross (1723-1791) and they had at least one daughter named Keziah (1758-1767).
This collection consists of three volumes that record business transactions of David Ross’s cooperage and bell foundry between 1756-1795. The first is an index of accounts, the second is a combination account book and daybook, and the third is a daybook. Typical jobs performed by Ross include the making of barrels, tubs, hoops, and he also did general construction and excavation. Of note is an untitled song written in the back of the second volume dated November 10, 1783.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 155, David Ross (1720-1795), Cooper and Bellmaker
Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.
The source of this collection is unknown.
Monumental Inscriptions, Union County, Vol. 2. The New Jersey Historical Society.