Guide to the New Providence, New Jersey Township Committee Records 1812-1843 MG 132
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2006 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by James Lewis as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. January 2006. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
New Providence Township, Union County, previously known as Turkey, was established on November 8, 1809. The township was a 13 square mile area bounded by Summit Township in the northeast, Westfield Township in the southeast, Warren Township, Somerset County in the south, Chatham and Morris Townships of Morris County in the northwest, and the Passaic River in the west. The First, Second and Third Mountains surrounded the township, which is also dotted by valleys. In 1720, Peter Willcoxsie and John and Phebe Badgley came from Long Island to settle the area, however, New Providence proper (or Turkey as it was then known) was settled from 1736-1738 mainly by English settlers.
This collection consists of an account book, minutes, and assessments from the township of New Providence dating from 1812-1843. It consists of five volumes.
The account book details salary payments made to members of the New Providence Township Committee, and the records for state and county tax and a dog tax from 1812-1814.
The minutes of the New Providence Township Committees date from 1829-1843 and discuss the receipt of money from individuals, the school fund, the State, County and Township tax, and the dog tax. The committee also charged Thompson Sturges for taking property belonging to Raty Hedges, and appropriated money, raised by the dog tax, for farmers whose sheep were killed or wounded by dogs. The committee also appointed officers for the following year at the meetings and discussed the creation of the Passaic District in April of 1843.
The remainder of the collection contains assessments carried out by Cornelius Mulford (1757-1823) of properties in New Providence from 1813-1819. The assessments have an alphabetical listing of owners, their acreage, land values, horses, cattle, men, merchants, saw mills, grist mills, slaves, riding chairs, tan vats, distilleries, amount of certainties, amount of state, county and Poor tax, dog tax and road tax.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 132, New Providence, New Jersey Township Committee
Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.
This collection was donated in part by Stephen S. Day, 1910.