Guide to the Randolph Township, New Jersey Township Committee Minute Book 1806-1835 MG 159
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2006 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by James Lewis as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. January 2006. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
In 1713, John Reading surveyed and sold portions of the land that would become Randolph Township. Most of the early settlers in this area were Quakers. The township itself was formed in 1805 from land formally in Mendham Township. The new township was named after Hartshorn Fitz Randolph and was located in the middle of Morris County, New Jersey. While the hilly country was not good for agriculture, it was rich in iron ore deposits and led to the development of a successful mining industry in the 19th century. The Dickerson and Succasunna mines were located in Randolph Township.
This collection contains one volume of the Proceedings of the Township Committee established when Randolph Township was formed out of Mendham Township on January 1, 1806. The Committee began with joint meetings of the townships of Mendham and Randolph. The minutes contain chronological entries that discuss the collection of taxes, paupers who were “farmed out” and for whom money was disbursed. For example the Overseers of the Poor, a township committee, gave assistance to the widow Sarah Osborne (a pauper), who simultaneously collected $100 from Elizabethtown (1806). It also built a house for Daniel Aber, who later became a tenant (1807-1817) and supplied Phebe Little with a “pension” (1821). Overseers of the Poor and the Roads included Ebenezer Coe (1755-1839), Stephen Conger (fl. 1806-1835), John Dalyrymple (fl. 1806-1835), Joshua Mott (fl. 1806-1835), and others. The minutes also contain notes on the election of chairmen, special appointments, “salary” payments, and township budgets.
The records consist primarily of minutes but also contain accounts such as the collection and dispersal of township revenue including poor, road, dog, and “peddlar’s” taxes, and fines accrued from the selling of stray animals. Other monetary transactions include the settling of financial disputes, payrolls for road workers, notes on “bad” money, and charges for “dog damage.”
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For related collections at the New Jersey Historical Society, see:
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 159, Randolph Township, New Jersey Township Committee
Minute Book, The New Jersey Historical Society.
The source of this collection is unknown.
A History of Morris County, New Jersey (New York, NY: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1914).