Guide to the Record Book of Washington School House 1820-1907 MG 736
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2004 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Stephen Yautz as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.Finding aid encoded by Danielle Kovacs. February 2004. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
The Washington School House was formed on March 4, 1820, when a group of Newark residents met and resolved to open a schoolhouse, and to circulate subscriptions to build the schoolhouse. Two years later, the schoolhouse, located at Orange and Essex Streets, was occupied by its first teacher and students. The school was the first “free,” or, public, school in the City of Newark. In May 1863, the ownership of the school was transferred to the City of Newark, and by 1868, the Washington School ceased to exist by that name as the Newark Public Schools rebuilt and expanded throughout the late nineteenth century.
This collection contains a record book belonging to and newspaper clippings pertaining to the Washington School House of Newark, New Jersey, covering the years 1820 to 1907. The record book contains mainly minutes from meetings held by stockholders, trustees, associates, and school district members of the Washington School House; the minutes date from 1820 to 1867. In addition, subscription lists dating from 1820 appear in the volume. Original school committee members mentioned include Robert Baldwin, Silas C. Baldwin, David Doremus, and James Keen.
Also included in the papers are newspaper clippings pertaining to the Washington Schoolhouse. The clippings cover the years 1903 to 1907, and are mostly from the Newark Sunday Call. The subject matter of the clippings is mainly the record book in this collection, which went on exhibit at the Newark Public Library in the early 1900s. A clipping from an unidentified publication, dating from approximately 1900, completes the collection.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For related collections pertaining to schools in Newark, New Jersey and its environs, see:
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 736, Washington School House Record Book, The New Jersey Historical Society.
This collection is the gift of E.D. Jacques.