Guide to the Records New Providence Academy Company 1817-1832 MG 930
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2004 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Stephen Yautz as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle Kovacs. February 2004. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
The New Providence Academy Company was formed by the congregation of the New Providence Presbyterian Church in 1817 under the leadership of its pastor, Reverend Elias Riggs, to build an academy that was henceforth called the New Providence Academy. As the governing body for the academy, the company held meetings, made financial transactions, and conducted any other business related to the school. In 1818, the company purchased land for the purpose of building a school, which was opened soon thereafter. The New Providence Academy Company remained the overseers for the academy until it was purchased by Amos Wilcox in 1832.
This collection consists of the records of the trustees of the New Providence Academy Company, which was the governing body of the New Providence Academy in New Providence, New Jersey. The records appear in two volumes and cover the years 1817 to 1832.
One of the volumes contains subscription lists, minutes of meetings held, and other records pertaining to the operation of the New Providence Academy. Also included in the record book is a land deed from 1818, which was obtained to build the Academy.The other volume is an account ledger containing an account for each student that attended the New Providence Academy, as well as accounts for other purposes.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For related material on institutions affiliated with the New Providence Academy Company, see:
New Providence Presbyterian Church. Records and Notes: Presbyterian Church, Turkey, now New Providence, New Jersey. New Providence, New Jersey: New Providence Presbyterian Church, 1911.
For related collections containing the records of other New Jersey day schools, or academies, during the same era, see:
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 930, New Providence Academy Company Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.