Guide to the Records of the Scotch Plains Baptist Church 1747-1837 MG 968
TABLE OF CONTENTS
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2004 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Stephen yautz as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle Kovacs. March 2004. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.
As early as 1742, a movement was evident in the Scotch Plains, New Jersey area, calling for a new Baptist congregation, rather than forcing these Baptists to travel to Piscataway, New Jersey, to attend services. In a few years, enough financial support was obtained to build a church. On August 5, 1747, The Baptist Church of Scotch Plains, New Jersey was established, and a church was built in 1743. Benjamin Miller was named its first pastor, a position he held until his death in 1781. Under his leadership, the congregation grew to over 300 members, which required the original church building to be enlarged in 1759. A fire in the winter of 1816-1817 destroyed this church, requiring the congregation to build anew. By December 1817 a new church was erected; a belfry and bell were added in 1866. This church building was sold in 1871 when a newer and larger brick church was constructed for the congregation.
The Baptist Church of Scotch Plains, New Jersey was considered a pioneer in the temperance movement as well as in Baptist missionary work. The congregation also was instrumental in the formation of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) of Scotch Plains, since the old church building was renovated for the organization so that it could use the building for its own purposes. The church still stands, located at 333 Park Avenue, in Scotch Plains, New Jersey.
This collection contains three transcripts of the records belonging to the Baptist Church of Scotch Plains, New Jersey, covering the years 1747 to 1837. The transcripts are possibly drafts based upon the original document, of which the final draft appears as the last copy in this collection. The first transcript covers the dates August 5, 1747 to August 12, 1837. The other transcripts are more complete; these date from August 5, 1747 to September 27, 1837.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
For a bound copy of the church records, see:
The Baptist Church of Scotch Plains, New Jersey. The Records of the Baptist Church of Scotch
For related collections containing the records of other Baptist churches and organizations in the same time period, see:
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 968, The Baptist Church of Scotch Plains Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.
The source of this collection is unknown.
Ricord, F.W., ed. History of Union County, New Jersey. Newark, New Jersey: East Jersey History Company, 1897.