Manuscript Group 591, Cobb-Howell Family (Hanover Township, NJ) Papers, 1758-1885 (Bulk dates: 1758-1833)
Archive Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 591, Cobb-Howell Family (Hanover Township, NJ)
(Bulk dates: 1758-1833), 0.2 linear feet / 4 folders
Call Number: MG 591
Indentures, accounts, and legal documents pertaining to the Cobb-Howell family of Hanover Township in Morris County. Includes papers of Benjamin Howell, Jr. (1786-1852), an attorney.
Gift of John B. and Richard P. Howell, 1963.
Edward Cobb (1731-1813) was most likely a descendant of the Cobb family of Massachusetts. He moved from Massachusetts to Morris County, New Jersey, where he established a farm in Hanover Township. His granddaughter, Elizabeth Cobb, married Benjamin Howell, Jr. (1786-1852), a well-known attorney. Howell was a direct descendant of Edward Howell, one of the first settlers of Morris County, who purchased land from Native Americans in 1640.
The collection was donated to The New Jersey Historical Society by John B. Howell and Richard P. Howell in October of 1963.
These papers consist of legal and financial documents that relate to several generations of the Cobb-Howell family. It includes Hanover Township land deeds, 1758-1833, of Edward Cobb; a certificate appointing John Cobb and Benjamin Howell estate administrators for Ephraim Beach, signed by Governor William Franklin, 1768; an inventory of Benjamin Howells personal estate, 1799; and writs for the arrest of debtors, 1812-1825, two of which were initiated by Benjamin Howell, Jr. Some documents in this collection relate to Howells predecessor who had the same name – Benjamin Howell (1725-1798).
The collection is organized by document type and then arranged in chronological order.
|3||Certificate appointing John Cobb and Benjamin Howell estate administrators of Ephraim Beach, signed by Governor William Franklin||1768|
|4||Miscellaneous financial and business documents||1765-1885|
Processed by Irina Peris, December 1999 as part of the “Farm to City” project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.